FESTIVAL NEWSLETTER No 1
INFORMATIONS ON THE PREPARATION
FOR THE 15th WORLD FESTIVAL OF YOUTH AND STUDENTS
In the African Region almost all the countries are aware of the realization of the Festival. Out of total 53 countries from the region, over 40 have communicated to the IOC and confirmed their commitment to send delegations to the 15th WFYS.
At the present moment, data has started flowing in from NPCs, youth and student organizations. The current figure of respondents through organizations is a tentative figure of 2785. We expect this figure to rise considerably in next weeks.
Namibia is committed to bring over 100 people, South Africa 200 people, Eritrea is renting a charter to bring their one participants to the Festival, and West Sahara is bringing 500 delegates.
In the American region there are already about 25 countries that confirmed their commitment to this great event.
Having in mind the importance of the Movement of the Festivals, the Venezuelan delegation made efforts to bring a charter with 300 delegates.
The Cuban delegation, besides that in a solidarity gesture are providing the opportunity of 250 delegates of Latin American and African countries to participate in the Festival, that otherwise hardly, or in some cases, would never have the chance to give their contribution to the success of it, will double their participation now pointing to the 600 delegates.
From Asia there are already confirmed the participation of delegations from Australia, Bangladesh, Burma, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea DPR, Laos, Malaysia, Nepal, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Island, Pakistan, Azerbaidjan, Kazakhstan, Kirgistan and Viet Nam.
On the initiative of ASA a regional meeting was held in Kathmandu, Nepal on the 8th of June. 22 national, regional and international organisations participated in this meeting, were the young people expressed lot of interest to participate in the Festival.
In some delegations, besides the character of the internationalism of the Festival in over witch we work to have as many countries represented as we, and the Youth and Students Organizations, have conditions to get, the number of delegates is should stimulant us all to mobilize as much as we can in our one countries; for instance: India 150, Korea DPR 150, Malaysia 200, Vietnam 130, etc.
The NPC of India, is organizing one expedition by bus, to reach from India through Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, finally to Algiers. A Tour of 30.000 km in 28 days, promoting the 15th WFYS.
The NPC of Nepal, is once again, making one expedition to reach the peak of the Mount Everest to put the flag of the WFYS.
The NPC of Australia is holding one solidarity campaign with Colombia and the struggle of the Colombian Youth, with the goal to help some delegates from Colombia to come to the Festival.
In the European Region there are nearly 30 countries committed to our Festival. Some of this countries are committed to bring a very good number of delegates. For example: Germany 100, Italy 100, Russia 250, Spain 100, and Ukraine 150.
In Copenhagen in the 9th of June took place the 2nd Nordic Coordinative Meeting for the 15th World Festival of Youth and Students, were the Organizations who were present (the National Preparatory Committees from Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Germany and Denmark) agreed in a appeal in which they reaffirm their will ”to participate actively in the 15th WFYS.”
Parallel to this activities, several delegations are planning to include in their delegation young and student people from poor countries who live in there country.
In the Middle East there are already established 23 National Preparatory Committees in all countries in the region.
5000 delegates are expected from the Middle East, for example from Egypt, Iraq and Mauritania 150, Syria and Yemen 250, Tunisia 350 and Libya and Morocco 500.
- In April took place, in Damascus, promoted by the Arabian Youth Union, and under the slogan of the Festival, a Youth and Student Solidarity meeting with Palestin, with the presence of about 60 National, Regional, and International Organizations.
In May in Libya, took place, promoted by the General Union of Arab Students, a consultative meeting of Arab Student Organizations regarding the Festival, with the presence of 43 National Organizations.
ON HOW TO GET TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 15th WFYS
Establishment of National Preparatory Committee (NPC)
In accordance with the festival tradition in promoting unity, youth, student, syndical and other organisations willing to participate in the 15th WFYS should coordinate among themselves to establish an NPC in their country. The NPC should inform the IOC on its establishment, composition, name of responsible person(s) and contact addresses (phone, fax, e-mail). The NPC should appoint its coordinator/convener/chairman to keep contact with the International Organising Committee.
The NPC is responsible to mobilise youth and students in respective country for the 15th WFYS, to prepare a national delegation and its participation in Festival activities.
In case of the non-existence of NPC in a given country, any youth and student organisation, who share the objectives of the 15th WFYS, can initiate the establishment of the NPC.
Application for participation in the 15th WFYS
Application for attending the 15th WFYS should be submitted by the NPCs or organisations to the IOC and/or Algerian NPC for ratification by the IOC. The application should state clearly full name of delegate, sex, date and place of birth, passport number, date and place of issued, name of NPC/organisation, name and signature of responsible person from respective NPC/organisation, place he/she would like to apply for entry visa.
The application can be sent by mail, fax, or by official e-mail of the respective NPC/organisation before July 31st, 2001 as the latest.
One week after submission of the application, delegate can apply for visa at Algerian consular office in their respective country. According to the agreement between Algerian NPC and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Algeria, the entry visa for Festival delegate will be exempted from fees.
In case no Algerian consular office in your country or nearby, the visa can be granted upon arrival in Algeria. But you need to inform the Algerian NPC in advance and get their written confirmation before departure. That will facilitate your travel to Algiers.
Delegates should arrange and bear the cost for their international transportation to and from Algiers themselves. Financial assistance will be provided only to limited number of delegates from countries/organisations in special difficult situation and they will be informed before departure to Algiers.
Passenger service charge at Algiers airport is included in ticket's price .
Participation fee will be as follow:
- For delegates from Western Europe, North America, Israel, Japan, Australia, Libya and Gulf States: 250 USD per delegates;
- For delegates from Eastern Europe, the rest of the Middle East: 200 USD per delegate;
- For delegates from Africa, Latin America & Caribbean and the rest of Asia-Pacific: 150 USD per delegate;
- Invited guests are exempted from participation fee.
Participation fee can be paid to Algerian NPC before or upon arrival of the delegate(s). The said participation fee will cover accommodation, meals and local transportation for all delegates who arrive in Algiers starting from August 4 and depart from Algiers not later than August 20, 2001. The expenditure for additional stay before August 4 or after August 20 should be born by delegates themselves.
RECOMMENDATION ON HOW TO PREPARE FOR PARTICIPATION IN THEMATICAL DISCUSSION CENTERS
How the Centers will work?
- Main objectives of the Thematical Discussion Centers are to exchange opinions, information and work experiences of participants on the issues under discussion at the Center; to collect initiatives and proposals for joint actions by youth and students to address these issues. Each Center will last 2 days, start with introduction by the Presidium, key-note speech(es) by resource person(s), continue with interventions by participants and end with the approval of the Report of the Center and List of proposed actions/activities. All written contributions to the discussion at the Center will be included into Festival files.
- Discussion at each Centers from No 1 to No 4 will be conducted by a Presidium consists of 8 members: one representative per region, one representative from international organisations and one representative from the host NPC. The list of members of Presidium will be proposed to the participants by the International Organising Committee (IOC) based on proposals from regions, international organisations and the host NPC. The Presidium may invite dignitaries or experts to join them in conducting the Sessions.
- The Report of the Center is to reflect the main content of discussions at the Center. The Report will be prepare by the Drafting committee consists of the Presidium and 5 other members nominated from 5 regions.
- In order to guarantee equal access of all national delegations to the Thematical Discussion Centers, the entry cards will be distributed to each delegation for taking part in each of the Center. Number of entry cards per delegation will be based on the number of delegations who expressed their interests to participate in the given Center as well as number of seats equipped with translation in each hall. Entry cards will be distributed to delegations by the IOC through each IOC regional commission. Each delegation will be provided seats in the hall with the name plate of their country or organisation.
- In order to provide opportunity for all delegations to take part in the discussion, oral presentation of each delegation should not be more than 7 minutes.
- Official working languages in all Centers will be English, Arabic, French and Spanish. Simultaneous translation will be provided during the Sessions.
- At each Session, the Presidium will collect all proposal for actions suggested by participants. In case there are similar or contradicting proposals, the Presidium may request the concerned delegates to consult among themselves in order to arrive to the
joint agreed proposals. The Closing Session will summarise all proposals suggested. These proposal will be reflected in the Festival Documents.
What should be done by national delegations for preparation to participate in Thematical Discussion Centers?
- To inform the IOC before July 31, 2001 on which Center(s) your delegation is interested to participate in.
- To prepare your contribution for discussion in written. The written intervention can be distributed for press. To facilitate the work of reporters, you may highlight most important part(s) of the intervention that you want to be quoted. Please, handover your written intervention to the Presidium of the Center.
- If you want to make any proposals for future actions, please prepare them in written and hand over to the Presidium.
- If your delegation has people who is capable and interested in conducting the discussion, please indicate to the IOC he/her name and the Center he/she would like to perform this task. The IOC will carry necessary consultation before finalising proposal for composition of the Presidium.
International Organising Committee